Yes folks, sadly it is….or is it?
The blog 1000 Awesome Things countdowns 1000 , well, “awesome” things. Launched in June 2008, it has been updated everyday since and is now coming to an end later next week, culminating in the #1 awesome thing.
Although I’ve never actually read his stuff until now and only recently learned of his blog’s impending passing, I am truly sad that ol what’s-his-face is ending whatever-that-blog-was-called again.
Neil Pasricha is the creator of 1000 Awesome Things and has since authored several books about awesome, including The Book of Awesome, The Book of (Even More) Awesome, and The Book of Holiday Awesome (I love his titles!). His daily blog is described as :
“Unrelentingly optimistic without being sappy. It’s less about awesome things than it is about seeing the awesomeness of the everyday.” The Toronto Star
Some of his top rated posts include:
- #997 Locking people out of the car and pretending to drive away
- #789 Putting potato chips on a sandwich
With millions of page views, and thousands of fans following his every awesome thought, although it’ll be interesting to see who takes over the ‘reign of awesome’ in the blog’s splendid wake, what fans are most anticipating is the ‘# 1 most awesome thing’. After 4 years, 3 books and a countdown clock that seized the attention of a generation, what will the #1 most awesome simple pleasure be?
Whatever the case, endings are always sad, but only when they mark the ending of something really good.
Always being contrary, in honour of the unfortunate ending of 1000 awesome things, I bring you a list in a different spirit: I present to you…
10 things that #suck:
- Arriving home from the grocery store and realizing you forget one of your grocery bags at the checkout stand – dammit!
- Getting to your car 2 minutes past the meter end time and seeing a parking ticket already on the dash – oh c’MON!
- Your boss scheduling a lunch time meeting – but not providing you with any lunch – shoooot!
- Picking up someone’s baby and having it start to cry uncontrollably in your arms.
- Your boss schedules a 4:30pm meeting on a Friday– uh oh!
- Taking your new clothing purchases out of the bag at home and seeing the security tag was accidentally left on the item – boooo!
- Putting money in a parking meter but no ticket comes out – son-of-a-@#$%
- Finding a stain or a hole in your favourite anything – WTF!
- Pouring a cream packet into you coffee and watching your coffee curdle because the cream has gone bad. Gah!
- Finding a thick curly hair in your food – just before you finish the dish. YUCK!
Ok, ok. Calm down and get out of that hair-tangled-in-your-food funk. To bring you back up to normal (aka 2-drink minimum happy), in honour of the end of something awesome, I present you with…
10 things that @#$%^&* rock!:
- Getting to a parking meter and there’s already money in the meter – hells yeah!
- Having nothing to eat at lunch but then walking into the lunchroom at work and finding leftover snacks, sandwiches, etc from a catered meeting that day – woo hoo!
- A slice of someone else’s birthday cake (even if you hate chocolate). yum-o!
- 50% off Halloween chocolate on November 1st. yes please!
- When someone else’s baby recognizes you and smiles expectantly. awwww!
- Using the candy/pop vending machine and when you put your money in and make your selection, 2 items fall out instead of one. 2 for 1, baby!
- Going to pay for the bus but the payment system is down so you get to ride for free!
- Leaving a store, checking your receipt and realizing the cashier forgot to charge you for an item – woo hoo!
- Buying an item of clothing already on sale, and when you get to the counter, you find out there’s an additional discount – yea baby!
- Free anything! (mattresses excluded)
Now go forth and appreciate all the #Awesome things today!…
and try to avoid the ones that suck.😉
And feel free to share whichever ones hit you today in the comments below!