Ahhh the Internet. We all know it well but do you love it the way you should? After checking your email, doing a little stalkbooking on facebook and searching up dirty jokes and images to send to your friends (ya, we know you do this), how else are you using mankind’s greatest invention? (Sliced bread, take a backseat please).
After vodka, scouring the web is my next favourite thing to do at
work home. So it only makes sense to always keep a list of favourite websites to check out when on the phone with your annoying friend bored. There are millions of websites out there (many of them badly made) which makes finding the good ones very difficult, to say the least. So how do you discover new ones worth your time? How can you find them? What are they about? Where do you go?
You take a gander at my list, that’s how. I’m creating a list and adding to it too. It’s the start of a series of cool links, great websites, and useful cyberspace time wasters. The more time you waste, the better.
So without further adieu, I present to you…
Nelleytimes’ inconclusive list of random favourite websites (pt I)
- Passing judgment, giving criticism and counting dollars. Three of my favourite past times all rolled into this great site that amasses numerous critic’s assessments of a movie and the end result is shown via the rotten tomato meter. For example, Little Fockers is only 10% fresh so it gets a rotten tomato rating. However, Black Swan is 88% fresh so it gets a fresh tomato rating (fresh being any movie with a grade of 60% or higher). You can also view top rated movies, weekly box office results in dollar amounts as well as fresh ratings for upcoming movies.
- I checked this out on a friend’s suggestion and never looked back. This site allows you to make musical selections by genre, location, type, etc. Then it provides you with a list of related radio stations, radio shows and streaming internet options to choose from that are located all over the world. A reggae music station from the Netherlands? Yes please!
- If you’ve ever gone to the movies with me, you know that I love, Love, LOVE movie trailers! Sometimes moreso than the actual movie (I’m looking at you – Couples Retreat!). Now although I’m not a fan of Apple and its related products, I do love this website which provides access to upcoming movies I want to see and some I’ve never even heard of and really want to see. You’ll need to download Quicktime to view the trailers, but it’s a small sacrifice to make to gain access to this content rich site. It’s like a movie trailer buffet, woo!
- Game time! Never have I wasted so many hours of my life and loved every minute of it. Introduced to me by an equally obsessed friend, I downloaded this game several years ago when it was free but facebook does have a free version too. If you decide to try it out, make sure you free up your evenings and weekends for the next several months. You’re gonna be awhile.
- Hahahahahahahaahaha! This is the only way to describe my sarcastic, acerbic hero. From the pics on his website to the videos on his YouTube channel, he, as his website describes it: explores the ugly side of cute.
- This is my sentimental entry. Now, normally I don’t like love or anything to do with its subsidiaries but I came across this site in early 2010 and immediately fell in, well, deep like. It’s created mainly from user entries so it definitely has the potential to be filled with sappy, clichéd crap but thankfully the readers send in some thoughtful photos, clever quotes, random entries and intriguing snippets representing both sides of love’s cruel equation (the happy side is not = to the unhappy side).
- I wrote about this back when there were only a few well known websites out there:
- Now that there’s 20+ related sites and growing that I need to check out on a daily basis, OneSpout is the solution to my new age problem. This one site contains info and breakdowns of all the numerous daily deals and side deals in your city, while also providing each deal’s countdown/time remaining clock. A convenience I’m happy to take advantage of and share.
Got a cool site you want to suggest? Just write it in the comments section below and I’ll check it out. If it’s pretty cool, useful or handy, I’ll post it up, credit you for the find and add it to the list! But if it’s just a site dedicated to you and your cat/man/workouts/weird fetish/etc. still send it in. I’ll just have to file it away a little differently….
As in file ’G’ for garbage. 😉